Law Offices Of Abrams and Taheri

Law Offices Of Abrams and Taheri K-3 / K-4

K-3 / K-4

The Legal Immigration Family Equity Act and its amendments (LIFE Act) established a new nonimmigrant category within the immigration law that allows the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen to be admitted to the United States in a nonimmigrant category. The admission allows the spouse or child to complete processing for permanent residence while in the United States. It also allows those admitted in the new category to have permission for employment while they await processing of their case to permanent resident status.

A person may receive a K-3 visa if that person:

  • Has concluded a valid marriage with a citizen of the United States;
  • Has a relative petition (Form I-130) filed by the U.S. citizen spouse for the person;
  • Seeks to enter the United States to await the approval of the petition and subsequent lawful permanent resident status, and,
  • Has an approved Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance, forwarded to the American consulate abroad where the alien wishes to apply for the K-3/K-4 visa. The consulate must be in the country in which the marriage to the U.S. citizen took place if the United States has a consulate which issues immigrant visas in that country. If the marriage took place in the United States, the designated consulate is the one with jurisdiction over the current residence of the alien spouse,

A person may receive a K-4 visa, if that person is under 21 years of age and is the unmarried child of an alien eligible to be a K-3.